Covina, California was founded in 1882, it is located in the heart of East San Gabriel Valley and is seven square miles, it is approximately twenty-two miles east of the bustling Downtown Los Angeles. Centered in the middle of State Route 57 and Interstate freeways 10, 210 and 605. Although cable in the 190s, it was popular for being one of the country’s smallest cities, the current population in Covina, California is approximately 47,880.
Many times Covina is confused with West Covina, however, this city that is located to its south and the west side is not only larger in the area, but also has more population. To the west of Covina, you can find Irwindale, the city of Baldwin Park as well as the unincorporated district of Vincent. To the north is Glendora and Azusa, to the northeast lies the unincorporated community of Charter Oak and to the east, we have San Dimas to as well as the incorporated districts of Via Verde and Ramona, to the southeast is the city of Pomona.
Covina, California as we now know was once for five thousand to eight thousand years, within the homelands belonging to the indigenous Tongva people. It became part of Alta California´s Rancho La Puente in the 18th century, this was a 1770s Spanish Colonial as well as an 1842 Mexican land grant.
Founded in 1882 by Joseph Swift Philips, the city of Covina, California was on an 8.1 km (two thousand acres) tract which was purchased from John Edward Hollenbeck’s holdings, he was one of the grantees from the 1842 Rancho La Puente. John Edward Hollenbeck had purchased in 1875 from three Badilla Costa Rican brothers, a failed coffee plantation, their names were Pedro Antonio Badilla, Julian Badilla, and Pedro Maria Badilla. They themselves had purchased the coffee plantation from Hollenbeck’s 1842 co- grantee’s heirs, a John A. Rowland.
A young engineer by the name of Frederick Eaton named the city of Covina, California. He had been hired by Joseph Swift Philips to survey the area in question. The valleys of the adjacent San Gabriel Mountains thoroughly impressed the young Frederick Eaton, particularly how they had formed an amazing, natural cover around the surrounding vineyards which the regions earlier pioneers had originally planted. Based on this sight, the young Frederick Eaton merged to significant words, “cove” and of course, “vine” and in 1985 the bane Covina had been created for this new township.
In 1901 the city of Covina, California was incorporated, the townsite was bound on the east side by first Avenue, on the south side of Puente Street, on the west side by fourth Avenue and on the north side by the alley north of College Street. Coined by Mrs. F.E. Wolfath, the slogan of the city of Covina, California is “One Mile Square and All There”. This slogan won a slogan contest in 1922 which was sponsored by the chamber of commerce, this was when the city that was incorporated not to long ago was on a single square mile there are some who say that was even slightly less, however, that made it the smallest city in area in the entire country.
Although originally vineyards were what caught the eye of the young Frederick Eaton, it would actually end up being grapefruit and orange groves that would soon not only cover the city of Covina, California but also make it famous. When 1909 rolled around, the city of Covina, California had become the world’s third largest producer of oranges and as late as the 1950s it was still declared as being home to the “best oranges in the entire world”. Unfortunately, however, since World War II, the orange groves were mainly replaced by single family houses and homes as well as multiple apartments and dwellings for families.
An extensive archive that illustrates the history of the city of Covina, California is maintained by the Covina Valley Historical Society. This is found in the Firehouse Jail Museum that was originally built in 1911, this is actually the first municipal building to be erected in Covina, California and is located right behind the City Hall in Covina’s Old Town.
Preserving the old-town Downtown feel of Covina, California is something that has been paid special attention to. The Downtown Specific Plan was developed to promote development that is pedestrian and transit oriented all the while maintaining its character that is downtown historical. “Mom and Pop” shops are greatly enjoyed by visitors and they are able to spend their days downtown visiting vintage clothing outlets, antique stores, hobby shops, ice cream shops and of course dining in fine eateries.
The CCPA (Center for the Performing Arts) has been renovated and is now a ten million dollar facility that serves as not only the architectural but also the entertainment cornerstone of the Downtown area. Serving as a gathering spot for the citizens of Covina, California, Downtown allows the to participate in a wide array of special and unique charity events. These kinds of occasion make for a gathering of the community, they come together and goodwill is fostered between the elected officials of the city of Covina, California, and their lovely community. The highest priority of the Mayor, City Council and of course the City Manager of Covina, California is to provide excellent customer service to their esteemed citizens and businesses.
The region that the city of Covina, California is located in experiences summers that are a war to hot and generally dry. The Koppen Climate Classification system describes the climate in Covina, California as being a hot summer Mediterranean climate, you may see this abbreviated on climate maps as “CSA”.
Fun Fact: Covina. California was the fictional setting for the comic strip as well as the 1934 movie of Harold Teen, the movie depicted a few teenagers from the Covina High School. With the permission of Carl Eds, the artist, a Covina malt shop located downtown is named the Sugar Bowl and imitates the after-school gathering spot that is displayed in the comic strip.